Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My own recipe, to use up some ground hazelnuts - very happy with these tasty little treats! Lower in cholesterol, too.
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 cup grapeseed oil or 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 whole eggs, beaten (for even less cholesterol) or 3 egg whites (for even less cholesterol)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup soymilk or 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup orange marmalade (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly spray muffin tray with olive oil spray or line with paper muffin cases.
- Sift flour, bicarb soda and baking powder together in large mixing bowl, and stir in ground hazelnuts, brown sugar, grated rind and choc bits.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, juice and milk.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and mix very lightly till just combined.
- Bake for approx 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Optional: Brush tops of still-warm muffins with marmalade, and allow to cool.
Not good totally tasted of baking powder and soda also orange was overwhelming. Error on this recipe because it doesn't say when to add brown sugar I totally forgot and had to dump batter out of cups and add it.
I chose this recipe for the Oz/NZ Regional Tour. I loved the flavor of these muffins...orange and just a hint of chocolate. Wonderful combination! Thanks for sharing the recipe.