Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice, tangy citrus tart. I love these with a large dollop of thick, thick cream. Prep time includes blind baking the pastry, or you could purchase a ready made one.
- Preheat oven to 180c (350f).
- Whisk eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until well combined.
- Add butter, juices and rind, and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes or until the mixture just comes to the boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Line a 25cm (10inch) loose bottomed tart tin with pasrty and bake blind*.
- Pour the filling into the pre-baked pastry shell and bake for 15-20 minutes or until set in the centre.
- You want it to be just set-not hard and tough!
- Top the tart with candied citrus peel or sifted confectioners sugar to serve.
- Serve at room temperature.
- *Tobake blind, line the pastry shell with greasproof paper, fill with rice or dried beans, and bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the paper and beans, and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
This was right up my alley! Tangy, refreshing, & a hint of cardamom. I could not find shortcrust pastry at my local store, so I made my own (1st time, so the crust is a little thick due to my own inexperience). I used whole wheat pastry flour, so the cardamom complemented that very nicely. The directions did not state when to add the cornflour & cardamom, so I added it to the butter after the butter was melted, then gradually stirred in the egg mixture, and brought just to a boil.