1/5 Photos of Outback Steakhouse Gold Coast Coconut Shrimp
1 hr 15 mins
I've never eaten these at the Outback, but they are succulent wee buggers!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 fluid ounces flat beer
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, divided (one 7-ounce package)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 12 jumbo shrimp
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Marmalade Dipping Sauce
- 1---To Make the Dipping Sauce---.
- 2Combine all marmalade dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- 3---To Make the Batter---.
- 4Use an electric mixer to combine the beer, flour, ½ cup of the coconut flakes, sugar and salt in medium bowl.
- 5Mix well, then cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- 6---To Prepare the Shrimp---.
- 7De-vein and peel off the shell back to the tail.
- 8Leave the last segment of the shell plus the tail as a handle.
- 9When the batter is ready, preheat oil in a deep pot or deep fryer to about 350°F.
- 10Use enough oil to cover the shrimp completely.
- 11Pour the remainder of the coconut into a shallow bowl.
- 12Be sure the shrimp are dry before battering.
- 13Sprinkle each shrimp lightly with paprika before the next step.
- 14Dip one shrimp at a time into the batter, coating generously.
- 15Drop the battered shrimp into the coconut and roll it around so that it is well coated.
- 16Deep-fry four shrimp at a time for 2 to 3 minutes or until the shrimp become golden brown.
- 17Flip the shrimp halfway through.
- 18Drain on paper towels briefly before serving with marmalade sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Outback Steakhouse Gold Coast Coconut Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 583.2
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 127.6 mg
- Sodium 738.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 50.6 g
- Protein 22.0 g