Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Yes that's right - 40 garlic cloves, about four heads of garlic! Try to use large, plump. fresh heads. Best-ever chicken guaranteed! After two hours of slow roasting ,the chicken is fragrant and melt-in-the-mouth tender, and the roasted cloves of garlic are a sublime spread on toasted crusty bread. This aromatic provencale dish cooks the garlics to a soft puree that is sweet, nutty and socially acceptable the morning after. My family have been enjoying this for years, and they think I put a lot of work into it. But instead for two hours you can put your feet up!
- WASH and clean the inside cavity of each chicken, and pat dry with absorbent paper.
- Rub oil over each chicken. Season each generously with salt and pepper, using your hands to rub the seasoning thoroughly over the chicken.
- Tuck the wing tips under the chicken, place a few lemon slices inside the cavity of each chicken, followed by sprigs of herbs.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- Place the chickens side by side in a deep casserole dish (one with a tight fitting lid).
- See note:
- Twist the central stalk of the garlic heads to loosen the cloves, rub away any loose papery skin but don't peel the cloves.
- Sprinkle cloves around the chickens, add remaining lemon slices and sprigs of herbs, and drizzle with extra olive oil.
- Note: If you do not have a tight fitting lid use sealing paste.
- TO MAKE SEALING PASTE blend flour with combined oil and water to form a dough-like paste. With your fingers, spread the paste around the edge of the casserole dish and gently press the lid over the paste.
- COOK the chicken in a moderately slow 160c oven for 2 hours. Do not remove the lid.
- A green salad is all you need as an accompaniment.
Made this recipe as written, except seasoned with a mixed blend of herbs for chicken rather than the salt & pepper. Used a roasting pan covered tightly with several layers of foil as I have nothing with a lid. Result was a tender juicy chicken & the garlic was delicious! Will make this again & again as it was enjoyed by all! Thanks for sharing your recipe.
So simple and absolutely delicious! The garlic taste is actually quite mild after roasting so don't be put off by the number of cloves. I cooked a single 1.3Kg chicken so left it in the oven for 2 1/2 hours but used the same quantity of other ingredients and it came out perfectly.