Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is an old Australian favorite. Wonderful comfort food on a cold wet night, especially served with damper or scones!!!
- Brown meat all over in a little oil, in a large pot.
- Add onion and carrot and stir through oil.
- Add crushed garlic, stock, (almost to cover) tomatoes and paste, sugar, bouquet garni and salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for about 2 hours (till the meat is falling off the bones).
- (pressure cook 30 mins, or crockpot 8 hours) Leave to cool, skim off fat; thicken with cornflour mixed with a little water.
- Meat can be removed from bones, just reheat after you take off the fat, and pick up each bone with tongs, the meat will just fall off.
- If it doesn't, it ain't cooked.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and greens.
This was my first recipe I made with my pressure cooker. My family loved it even though I did'nt tell then what it was til they tried it . This was very tender, and very much worth the wait.
Really lovely comfort food - i did add a glass of red wine. will definitely be making it again.
Here's a good recipe for serious comfort food! I only had one "oxtail" (it was actually a beef steer tail if you want to quibble over it!) :-) so added a couple handfuls of some "stew meat" to beef it up a bit more. Otherwise followed pretty much as is. Very filling and delicious. *Made for Aus/NZ Recipe Swap Sept 07*