Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A summer paella salad full of goodies! Rice mix is better if cooked the day before and refrigerated. This isn't essential but will help prevent rice from becoming soggy and will keep grains separate. I haven't included this day ahead step in the cook time.
- 375 ml chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 300 g medium grain rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 whole calamari, cut into rings
- salt and pepper
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced
- 12 black mussels, cleaned,debearded
- 125 ml white wine
- 12 medium prawns, cooked (shrimp)
- lemon wedge, to serve
- 1 lebanese cucumber, peeled,halved lengthways,seeds removed,sliced
- 2 cups wild rocket
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 240 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 120 ml olive oil
- 60 ml lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Place chicken stock in a skillet with ground turmeric, salt and rice.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Drain well and cool.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over high heat.
- When pan is very hot, add the calamari rings and fry for about 1-2 minutes or until just cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from the pan.
- Wipe pan clean then return to heat adding remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Fry slices of chorizo sausage until crisp, then remove from pan.
- Place the mussels in a saucepan with the white wine and cover with a lid.
- Place over high heat and bring to the boil.
- Cook for 3 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, removing each mussel as it opens.
- Discard any that do not open.
- Make the dressing by combining the oil, lemon juice and sweet paprika, season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix together rice, prawns, calamari, chorizo and mussels.
- Fold through all the salad ingredients and pour the dressing over.
- Serve with lemon wedges.