Made for Good Things Are Cooking Here!! (A non-cooking game) In the Australian/New Zealand Cooking Forum - http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=233992 Please note that prep and cooking times are just an estimate.
- 400 g ground beef (mince)
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- 1 orange, zested, juice reserved
- 1 (200 g) can water chestnuts, drained, chopped fine
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs (Japanese Breadcrumbs)
- oil, to fry
- lettuce leaf, torn into serving sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- Mix first 7 ingredients together.
- Shape into walnut sized balls.
- Place into fridge for 1 hour.
- Roll in panko crumbs
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a wok.
- Deep fry balls in batches for 3 or 4 minutes or until cooked through and golden.
- Serve in lettuce leaf pieces with a little sauce drizzled over.
- Heat orange juice and hoisin sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until reduced back to the original consistency of the hoisin sauce. Set aside.
I was not really impressed with this recipe. I think the taste was a bit out-there for me. It's probably just my taste buds but I wouldn't have them again. The sauce was good and the recipe was easy to follow. Sorry,though,it just wasn't something I would eat again.
I made these for Little Miss (DD) and Hubby and they both enjoyed them. Little Miss basically took the whole plate and didn't want to share with her daddy. Hubby managed to get four meatballs and the sauce, he said it was really nice. I had trouble finding the Panko but I managed to find them at Coles in the Asian Section, the Panko comes in a yellow plastic bag (I was looking for a box). Overall I could say for our family is this recipe is a real kid's pleaser. Thank you Aus/NZ Chef's