1/9 Photos of Parmesan and Sesame Crimple Crackers
1 hr 15 mins
Chef floWer's Note:
I made these for dinner guests and everyone enjoyed them. Cooking them in batches takes a little long but if you have a few oven trays it would be faster. These could could serve these unusual crackers after dinner (supper) with cheese, dried fruit, nuts and wine. I served the with cheese and grapes. The recipe comes from a book called 100 favourite cakes and biscuits by Alison Holst
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups bread flour, high grade
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup water, bath-temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/4 cup water, extra hot water
- 1Heat oven to 160°C (150°C fanbake), with the rack just below the middle.
- 2Measure the first five ingredients into a food processor or large bowl. Pour 1/2 cup warms water into a one cup measure, stir in the salt and sugar until dissolved, then add the oil. Process the dry ingredients in bursts (or toss them together with a fork), while you add the hot liquid mixture in a steady stream. Add as much of the remaining hot water as you need to form a ball of soft dough.
- 3Cut the dough into four parts and put three aside in a plastic bag. Roll out the other piece VERY thinly on a floured board, using extra flour to stop it sticking, making an oval shape bigger than an A4 size page. Cut in half (lengthwise), then cut each half into 10-12 tall, thin (pennant shaped) triangles, with alternate narrow bases and points on the cut edge. Perfect shapes aren't necessary and outside edges need not be trimmed. Prick crackers with a fork or skewer, Place on a metal cake rack to bake, crumpling but not folding them.
- 4Bake them on the rack for 10-15 minutes, until pale gold but dry and very crisp. Lower heat and cook longer if necessary. Repeat with remaining pieces of dough. When cold, store in airtight containers, reheating if crackers soften or storage.
- 5Flavour develops fully after about 12 hours.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Parmesan and Sesame Crimple Crackers
Serving Size: 1 (633 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 22.6
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.8 mg
- Sodium 67.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 0.7 g