Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've been making this since my boys could eat solids! and it's still a favourite. Add carrot, celary, bell pepper if you wish, or tinned tomatoes in place of all or some of the soup. I really just make it with what I have or need to use. I also love the custard on mashed potatoes or pumpkin baked in the oven.
- 250 g pasta, penne or shells etc,cooked
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 500 g beef mince
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (or broth)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 140 g tomato paste
- 1 (400 ml) can tomato soup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frypan over medium heat.
- Fry the onion until golden and tender.
- Add the garlic and cook a couple of minutes more.
- Add the beef and cook, breaking up the lumps with a fork, until all the meat has changed colour.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients, stir well.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Mix in cooked pasta and pour into a 2 litre casserole.
- Topping: Whisk together the cream and egg, and season to taste.
- Pour gently over the meat/pasta mix.
- Sprinkle over cheese, scatter this with the bacon.
- Cook in a moderate oven (190c) until custard is set and golden.
- about 30 minutes.
This is a great, easy dish. I'm a lifetime weight watchers member, so I healthied it up and cut back the calories a lot by making the following changes: use barilla plus whole grain pasta instead of regular, lean ground turkey as the meat, just a slight sprinkle of cheese, and whole milk instead of the cream. I also added some shredded zucchini and mushrooms to it. It was still super easy and absolutely delicious! However, I will say that if I am having company or trying to impress someone, it is AMAZING as is. I followed the recipe the first time, and boy, what comfort food!
Easier than lasagne. Used pasta sauce instead of tomato paste and sauce. Also added mushrooms to onions and garlic. Did not need to simmer for 30 min before preparing for baking. Did not have cream on hand, so sub't 1/2 skim milk and 1/2 low fat sour cream. It was awesome- from what we remember since we ate it so fast! Thanks.
YUMMO! i tweaked it just a little....used fresh basil and oregano and also tin tomatoes instead of soup and white wine as i didn't have red. my bf and daughter loved it! thanks for sharing :):)