I've been making this since my boys could eat solids! and it's still a favourite. Add carrot, celary, bell pepper if you wish, or tinned tomatoes in place of all or some of the soup. I really just make it with what I have or need to use. I also love the custard on mashed potatoes or pumpkin baked in the oven.
- 250 g pasta, penne or shells etc,cooked
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 500 g beef mince
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (or broth)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 140 g tomato paste
- 1 (400 ml) can tomato soup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frypan over medium heat.
- Fry the onion until golden and tender.
- Add the garlic and cook a couple of minutes more.
- Add the beef and cook, breaking up the lumps with a fork, until all the meat has changed colour.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients, stir well.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Mix in cooked pasta and pour into a 2 litre casserole.
- Topping: Whisk together the cream and egg, and season to taste.
- Pour gently over the meat/pasta mix.
- Sprinkle over cheese, scatter this with the bacon.
- Cook in a moderate oven (190c) until custard is set and golden.
- about 30 minutes.