1/8 Photos of Pasties
1 hr 15 mins
My mum made the best pasties on earth, but she's gone so I had to make them today from my memories. Pasties were a food we ate when we were poor, so there wasn't much meat in them compared to veg. Swede turnip is very important in pasties. Mum made her own pastry with dripping, but I don't save dripping!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg shortcrust pastry, 5 sheets
- 300 g ground beef
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into tiny (pea sized)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 small swede, peeled and grated
- 1 medium onion, very finely diced
- 2 tablespoons peas
- 2 teaspoons beef stock powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- black pepper, lots of black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 160c for a fan forced oven or 180c for non fan forced.
- 2Seperate pastry sheets and defrost. Using the largest dinner plate that will fit on the pastry square, cut circles.
- 3Mix filling ingredients together and divide into 5.
- 4Place 1/5th of the mixture along the centre of a pastry circle, then moisten edges with water and bring together crimping to seal.
- 5Repeat with remaining 4 circles of pastry.
- 6Place on a baking tray and brush with the glaze; cut a small hole in pastry to allow steam to escape.
- 7Cook in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until golden.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasties
Serving Size: 1 (2434 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1214.6
- Calories from Fat 648
- Total Fat 72.0 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 78.8 mg
- Sodium 1050.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 114.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 27.6 g