From a feature in our local paper. I have estimated cooking time on have to cook the sandwiches in 2 batches.
- Place the mayonnaise and custard in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter and the other side with the maonnaise mixture.
- Divide the cheese, pickle and pastrami between 4 slices of bread, ensuring the buttered side is on the outside, and sandwich with the remaining bread, once again ensuring buttered side is on the outside.
- Heat a large non stick frying pan over low heat.
- Cook the sandwiches, in batches for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden and cheese is melted.
Great tasting sandwich, even on white bread and without the pickle! Picked up some pastrami at the deli and found your recipe. I saute'd some onion in lieu of the pickle (didn't have any). Made 12-27-11. Thanks for posting I'mPat.
Wonderful with Steakhouse Black Bread - Pumpernickel. This fits my mouth deliciously perfect...sandwich-wise. Made for A-NZ#60.
Pat, this is a real winner! I used a dark Russian rye and a German horseradish mustard since I did not have any Dijon. I also added extra mustard to the spread since we are not big fans of mayo. My daughter has requested I make these again this week! So, as you can see I will definitely be making again....and soon. Thanks for posting this wonderful keeper. Made and reviewed for the 49th AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.