Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This fabulous fruit cake is boiled then baked. It has a lovely moist consistency and will keep for a long time in an airtight container. It is an excellent recipe for a special occasion such as a Wedding or Christmas. I have made this on many occasions and it has always been a success. Remember always allow the cake to cool before you remove it from your tin and then it can be pricked all over the top with a skewer, and drizzled with warmed Whisky if you choose.
- Place the Sugar, Fruit, Peel, Butter, Bicarbonate of Soda and the Liquid, Sherry or Water into a large pot and bring it to the boil. Then let this mixture cool for ten minutes.
- Beat the 3 Eggs well and add this to your mixture along with the Self Raising Flour and the Plain Flour. Make sure you mix all of this well on a slow speed if you have an electric mixer.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9*X4" Springform cake pan which has been well greased and is lined with a suitable greased oven proof paper and floured.
- Bake the mixture in the middle of a Medium temperature oven and bake for 1 1/4 hours, ( one and a quarter hours, ) or until a test skewer comes out fairly dry when you prick the cake in the middle.
- You MUST leave the cake to cool in the cake tin thoroughly before removing it, as this prevents the cake from splitting.
- Once cooled you can decorate it to suit your pleasure. It is great with Marzipan and Royal Icing.