Cook1 hr 30 mins
This recipe should start as 'Raise unsexed baby chickens for 6 months. When roosters become too loud for their immediate environment, carefully cull. Behead, pluck and gut.' Our roosters are free range chooks who are used to flying, foraging and generally having a very nice life. They are MUCH bigger than your typical commercially raised chicken - almost twice the size of a large commercial chicken and they have a much more gamey taste. Unfortunately singing with full throated joy like Pavarotti is not appropriate in suburbia, and when even a dark garden shed cannot contain the sound, it is reluctantly time for silence.
- Clean chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F/180 C.
- Mix oil, paprika, curry powder and mixed herbs together and carefully pour all over the chicken.
- Ensure that the chicken is thoroughly coated and rub the mix in if necessary.
- Add thyme and onion to interior of chicken.
- Roast in the oven until done.
- [Our chickens take about 1 1/2-3/4 hours but they are the size of a small turkey!]