Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
An elegant dish suitable to serve for company. Simple to prepare. Original recipe was from the Australian Macadamia Society. Serves four as a main meal. I've noticed that my olocal supermarket is now stocking a fairly extensive range of kangaroo cuts.
- 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil (can substitute olive oil)
- 1⁄2 cup roasted macadamias (whole or halved)
- 600 g thick loin kangaroo fillets (can substitute beef or venison)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 fresh pear, peeled and cut into slices (can use a canned pear)
- 1⁄4 cup pear juice (or juice from the canned fruit)
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly or 1 tablespoon cranberry jelly
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan.
- Season the meat with pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side (for medium rare) or until cooked to desired doneness. Remove meat from the pan to a plate and cover with foil.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine and pear juice. Add the pears and jelly and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes or until sauce is a glaze consistency. Return kangaroo and add the macadamias to the pan. Coat in the glaze.
- Serve the meat sliced with the remaining glaze spooned over and and around the plate.
This is omg amazing!!!! Both my hubby and I could not stop going on how excellent this was during and after the meal.. This is one of the best sauces I have had in ages with Steak. We can not get kangaroo here although I have eaten it before so I know this would go very well with it . I served this with 2 large beef steak fillets served over sauteed mushrooms and leeks and it was the best dinner ever. I loved that it was so simple to make and my goodness with all the flavour your guests will be thinking you have spent hours in the kitchen. The combo of the wine, pear juice and currant jelly was excellent and it picked up the flavour of the meat nicely when added to the pan. Oh and then having the sliced pears with the macadamias to finish it off it was truly superb!! I know I have gone on a bit but I honestly have not had such a wonderful meal in so long. This is a must for anyone who loves a good steak. A truly perfect recipe Jubes and one that has gone straight up there into my top 10.
This was a superb recipe. I added a little to much pear juice by accident so balanced it with a tbs of balsamic vinegar, otherwise all done to directions. I will use this glaze again, it was lovely