Steak with caramelised onions, mushrooms and a home made tomato sauce. Adapted from a recipe on the Simply Great Meals Recipe Club website.
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan over a low heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the onions are golden brown and caramelised. Add the mushrooms in the last five minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- Lightly coat both sides of the steak with cracked black pepper; heat extra oil in the pan; and pan fry the steak until it is cooked as you like it.
- Remove the meat from the pan and keep it warm; add the garlic to the pan and sauté it for 1 minute; stir in the tomato paste, water and balsamic vinegar and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Place the steak on a serving of mashed potato, top with the caramelised onions and mushrooms and drizzle with the tomato sauce.
- Notes: I have not yet made this recipe, but when I do, since tomato paste disagrees with me (I find it too sharp), I shall be using a can of tomatoes, drained, and a teaspoon of a wonderful Australian spice Bush Tomato. If you can get hold of Bush Tomato, it's wonderfully aromatic and flavoursome without whatever is the ingredient in tomato paste that makes it sharp.
pretty good flavor. I added a little sugar to offsett the tartness.
Wow! DH and I loved this! OK, this is what I did. I used some leftover diced tomatoes in sauce instead of the tomato paste. I omitted the water and I reduced the sauce to thicken it. I also could NOT bring myself to cook the steaks in a fry pan. (Top Loin New York Steak) I got at the discount area because of the use by date. So I grilled them. I served them with spaetzle instead of mashed potatoes and a salad on the side. The tomato sauce added a nice tang to the overall dish due to the balsamic vinegar. Excellent dish! The steak was nice and tender and the onion/mushrooms and tomato sauce was the finale. Thanks for posting. :) This is going in my top 2009 cookbook.
This made a good steak - the onions and mushrooms were wonderful. The tomato sauce was so-so - I think bluemoon was correct in thinking the tomato paste would be "sharp" - I wish I had used tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes instead of the paste. I used New York Strip steak. Made for 1-2-3 Hits Tag Game, 1/19/09 - NELady.