Steak with caramelised onions, mushrooms and a home made tomato sauce. Adapted from a recipe on the Simply Great Meals Recipe Club website.
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan over a low heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the onions are golden brown and caramelised. Add the mushrooms in the last five minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- Lightly coat both sides of the steak with cracked black pepper; heat extra oil in the pan; and pan fry the steak until it is cooked as you like it.
- Remove the meat from the pan and keep it warm; add the garlic to the pan and sauté it for 1 minute; stir in the tomato paste, water and balsamic vinegar and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Place the steak on a serving of mashed potato, top with the caramelised onions and mushrooms and drizzle with the tomato sauce.
- Notes: I have not yet made this recipe, but when I do, since tomato paste disagrees with me (I find it too sharp), I shall be using a can of tomatoes, drained, and a teaspoon of a wonderful Australian spice Bush Tomato. If you can get hold of Bush Tomato, it's wonderfully aromatic and flavoursome without whatever is the ingredient in tomato paste that makes it sharp.