bluemoon downunder's Note:
Australian chef Huey (Iain Hewitson)'s recipe for what he describes as basically an American recipe: Peppered Venison Steak with Spiced Smothered Onions. Venison, he advises, should be medium rare at the most so have everything ready to go before adding the venison steaks to the pre-heated grill. Some conversions: 150 grams = approximately 5 ounces; 180 grams = just over 6 ounces.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced (depending on your fondness for garlic)
- 150 g tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or 1 tablespoon wine
- 1/2 tablespoon sambal oelek (or any chilli paste)
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 4 thin venison steak (180g)
- 1Heat the oil in a heavy-based (preferably non-stick) pan and, stirring, gently sauté the onions and garlic until they have browned and acquired a nutty flavour.
- 2Add the tomato ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar or wine; stir well and add the sambel oelek, brown sugar, mustard, parsley and a good pinch of salt; stir again and gently cook for 5-10 minutes, adding a little stock if needed.
- 3Generously season the venison steaks with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, brush the steaks with oil and briefly cook on a very hot, preheated ridged grill (or BBQ) to medium-rare at the most.
- 4To serve, place a steak on each plate and spoon a good dollop of the smothered onions alongside as a relish.
- 5NOTE: Any steaks can be used in place of venison.
Browse Our Top Deer Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peppered Venison Steak With Spiced Smothered Onions
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 114.0
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.9 mg
- Sodium 526.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: