This "recipe" comes from a 40 year old cook book I inherited when I met Russell! "Entertaining with Kerr". He was a pompus TV cook in Australia, and this is the only thing I've ever cooked out of the book. It's also the ONLY way I enjoy my rice (and we eat a lot of that!)
- Wash your rice thoroughly in cold running water.
- Bring the saucepan part of a double boiler of salted water to the boil.
- Tip in your washed rice, stir briefly and bring back to the boil.
- Time for exactly 5 minutes.
- Turn the rice into the top of your double boiler (one with holes), place an inch of boiling water from the kettle in it (the bottom bit) and place the rice back over it.
- Cover and steam for a further 10 minutes.
- *note*this recipe is for"standard" long grain rice, different types of rice will need less cooking at this stage-jasmine and basmati in paricular take only about a further 7 minutes, whilst koshihikari for sushi seems to need a little longer.