Sassy Syrah's Note:
This is a dish we had a lot growing up. Mum would use potato chips for a crunchy topping, but I hardly ever have those in the house. It is relatively quick, and inexpensive and can be stretched even further with a green salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g macaroni style pasta (penne, rigatoni, bow ties..etc.)
- 1/2 onion, chopped finely.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons cornflour
- cayenne pepper
- 500 -750 ml milk
- 200 g cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 (400 g) can tuna in brine or 1 (400 g) can tuna in water, drained and flaked.
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 -1 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup of prepared dried breadcrumbs
- 1Boil water and cook pasta according to packet instructions.
- 2Add chopped onion to pasta water while pasta cooks.
- 3Drain well.
- 4Melt butter over a low heat.
- 5Add flour and whisk to form a roux off the heat.
- 6Season well with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- 7Return to heat and add milk gradually, stirring all the time until white sauce thickens.
- 8Remove from heat.
- 9Add cheese cubes and stir till they melt.
- 10Add tuna, peas, corn and lemon juice and combine.
- 11Set aside.
- 12In a casserole dish place pasta and white sauce mixture.
- 13Stir to mix gently, making sure the pasta is well coated.
- 14Top the casserole with most of the grated cheese, then add the breadcrumbs, cover breadcrumbs with remaining cheese.
- 15Season well once again.
- 16Bake casserole at 200 C for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Tuna Mornay
Serving Size: 1 (467 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1036.5
- Calories from Fat 469
- Total Fat 52.1 g
- Saturated Fat 28.4 g
- Cholesterol 147.8 mg
- Sodium 1075.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 64.6 g