Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A fabulous addition to your Christmas menu. I found this on the net somewhere.
Make and share this Pickled Cherries recipe from Food.com.
- 500 g cherries, stems intact
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Put everything but the cherries in a saucepan, and bring to the boil, simmer gently for about 10 minutes.
- While the mixture is simmering, prick each cherry three or four times with a sharp wooden skewer.
- Add the cherries to the simmering liquid and remove from heat. Allow to cool.
- Put the cherries and liquid in a jar and allow to stand at room temperature overnight. Store in the fridge until use.
These are fabulous alongside pork roast & dressing or anytime you want something to "cut" through the richness of some meals! A VERY unique dish for my part of the world!
Woohoo this is awesome! A little zippy, a little sweet, a LOT wonderful! HINT: make a triple batch so maybe you'll have enough to share! ;) This is very easy. DH wants to pit the cherries first next time. Thanks, Jewelies!