My son Dan often makes this for me as I love it. The most important thing is the cucumber, the rest of the herbs and veg are really up to you (rocket and red bell pepper are good in it too). Thai basil would be good in there as would Vietnamese mint. Taste the "dressing" and decide if the balance of sweet, salty, sour and hot is right for you.
- 3 cucumbers, the small Lebanese variety
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 red chili, sliced fine (seeded or not-it's up to you)
- 1⁄2 cup mint, Vietnamese would be good
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 tomatoes, seeded, halved and sliced fine
- With a vegie peeler, slice the cucumber into ribbons discarding the seedy centre.
- Bring the fish sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, turmeric, onion wedges and sliced chilli to the boil. Simmer a few minutes, then remove from the heat and toss through the cucumber ribbons. Allow to cool.
- Add in the remaining herbs and veg and serve.