Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Eat these bad boys right out of the jar,or use them in your favourite shellfish recipes.
Make and share this Pickled Oysters or Mussels recipe from Food.com.
- mussels (or just about any other shellfish) or oyster (or just about any other shellfish)
- 10 ounces white vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon clove
- 1⁄2 tablespoon allspice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cracked whole mace
- bay leaf
- lemon slice
- Prepare the shellfish first by scrubbing shells.
- Steam the shellfish just enough so that the shells become open.
- Strain the liquid from steaming and cool in the refrigerator.
- Remove the meat from the shells.
- Put all the ingredients (except the bay leaves and lemon) in a large pan, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Leave to cool.
- Pack the cooled meat into sterilized jars, adding a bay leaf, some cloves and a slice of lemon to each jar.
- Pour the cooled vinegar mixture over the meat to cover.
- Seal firmly and store in the refrigerator.
I did clams and mussels together. Delicious! (added some steamed broth to the vinegar mixture to tone down the strong flavour.) CIZ