Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an old favourite. It's from the Golden Circle website. My mum also has it in an old cookbook from the 1960's. It's a very easy recipe-just 10 minutes prep and into the oven (the original stated 20 minutes). To make this recipe gluten free ensure the soy sauce is gluten free
- 440 g pineapple chunks in juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 400 g chicken fillets or 400 g chicken tenderloins, cut into strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (kumara, diced or sliced)
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice (ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric)
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 4 spring onions, chopped (green onions, shallots)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Drain pineapple and reserve the liquid.
- Combine the oil garlic, honey, soy sauce and the reserved pineapple juice - mix well to make a marinade.
- Use 1/2 of the marinade mix to marinate the chicken for 10 minutes.
- Toss the pineapple pieces, onion and the sweet potato with the remaining marinade and place it into a casserole dish. Bake 10 minutes until the potato begins to soften. Bake uncovered.
- Add the marinated chicken and the marinade, wine or water, 3/4 of the spring onions,mixed spice sesame seeds. Cook for a further 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the ingredients have caramelised.Add extra wine or water if needed.
- Serve over a bed of rice or noodles and sprinkle with the remaining spring onion.