Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Deliciously flavoursome home-made pork sausages - so great to know that your sausages are free of preservatives - served with equally yummy zucchini rosti make for a great family meal. I have adapted this recipe from one I found today in the current issue of the Australian 'Woman's Day', and which we enjoyed this evening with Ravenseyes’ Tzatziki. Mincing the vegetables in a processor ensures that the mixture holds together more readily. If your rosti do not look as if they are going to hold together, make them in egg rings, which I find can be removed when you are ready to turn the patties, latkes, burgers or rosti. If you are using a non-stick pan, use non-stick egg rings and - for easy removal - lightly oil them, When making these tonight, I used all of the listed optional ingredients for the zucchini rosti. My inclusion of rosemary and sage was from a grinder which includes this fabulous blend. :) All of these optional ingredients add heaps of flavour, but I'm well aware that not everyone likes lemony flavours. If any of these optional ingredients don't appeal to you, leave them out! I love the textural variation that nuts provide. Pine nuts would also work well here.
- 650 g pork mince or 650 g just under 21 ounces ground pork
- 1 small green apple, peeled, cored and minced (I used a Granny Smith)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 zucchini, minced and excess moisture removed (about 500g/16 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons grated tasty cheese
- 2 cloves, minced garlic (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon rosemary (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sage (optional)
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped (optional)
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- tomato chutney or tzatziki, to serve
- Preheat the oven to moderate: 180°C/350°-375°F/gas mark 4-5.
- In a bowl, combine the pork mince/ground pork, apple, onion, garlic, lemon pepper, cumin and salt, to taste; divide the mixture into 8 portions; roll each portion into 10cm/4 inch long sausages and coat the sausages in breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick pan over a medium heat; add the sausages and cook for 4-5 minutes, turning, until browned on all sides; transfer to an oven tray and bake for 8-10 minutes or until they are cooked all the way though.
- Meanwhile, combine the thoroughly squeezed, grated zucchini, flour and cheese in a bowl, and add any of the optional ingredients you are including - garlic, lemon zest, rosemary, sage and walnuts - and season to taste; heat 2 tablespoons of oil in the same pan used to brown the sausages; spoon two tablespoons of the zucchini mixture into the pan and (being careful not to overcrowd the pan) repeat with further two-tablespoon amounts, flattening them with a spatula; cook the rosti for 2-3 minutes or until they are golden; turn and cook them for a further 1-2 minutes, until they are cooked through; transfer to a serving plate and cover the rosti to keep them warm; repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Serve the sausages with the zucchini rosti and tomato chutney or tzatziki and salad greens or vegetables.