Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from a recipe in The Australian Women's Weekly's 'little pies & cakes'. When I made this recently for guests, I had one guest who doesn't really like anchovies so I made two with sardines - a bit fiddly as I had to make two separate lots of cream! But I was impatient to try the recipe. There were four of us and so we each sampled the sardine version: the verdict was that both were very tasty. For serving to family, you might want to make this in the one larger dish. If you do this, remember to adjust the cooking time appropriately.
- 700 g potatoes (about 211/2oz)
- 1 small brown onion, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (optional)
- 12 undrained anchovies packed in oil
- 2 teaspoons of the reserved anchovy oil (or 1 teaspoon of the reserved anchovy oil and 1 teaspoon lemon juice)
- 300 ml cream (10 fl.oz. or 1/2 pint)
- 1⁄2 cup milk (125ml or 4 fl.oz. )
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced/400°F/6 gas mark; grease six-hole (3/4-cup/180mljust under 6 fluid ounces) texas muffin pan; line each hole with two criss-crossed 5cm x 20cm (appromimately 1/4"x 8") strips of baking paper.
- Using a sharp knife, mandoline or V-slicer, cut the potatoes into very thin slices; mince the onion and garic (if using) in a mini processor or slice the onion very thinly and finely chop the garlic.
- Drain and reserve the oil from the anchovies; chop the anchovies coarsely; layer potato, onion and anchovy in the pan holes, starting and finishing with potato.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the reserved anchovy oil (or anchovy oil and lemon juice), cream, milk and pepper in a small pan; distribute it evenly over the potato mixture.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the potato is tender; add the slivered almonds (if using) in the last 10-15 minutes of cooking; stand in pan for 10 minutes; using the baking paper strips gently lift the gratin from the pan.
- Sprinkle with the fresh dill and serve.