1/3 Photos of Potato and Coriander Samosas
1 hr 30 mins
Fairy Nuff's Note:
A wonderfully tasty Indian appetizer - you can use ready-made puff pastry if you don't have the time or inclination to make your own!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 50 g butter
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 500 g peeled and finely diced waxy potatoes
- 1/4 cup sultana
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 3 sliced green onions
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- oil, for deep-frying (if using puff pastry you can bake in the oven)
- thick plain yogurt, to serve
- 1Heat the butter in a large frying pan, add the ginger, cumin seeds, curry powder and garam marsala and fry lightly for 1 minute or until very fragrant.
- 2Add the potato and 3 tablespoons of water and cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- 3Add the sultanas, peas, coriander leaves and green onion and stir through.
- 4Set aside to cool.
- 6Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl- make a well in the centre.
- 7Add the butter, yoghurt and 3/4 cup of water.
- 8Use a flat-bladed knife to bring the dough together.
- 9Turn onto a lightly floured surface and form a smooth ball.
- 10Divide the dough into four pieces.
- 11Roll out one piece until it is very thin.
- 12Use a 12cm (5in) diameter plate as a guide and cut six circles from the dough.
- 13Place a generous tablespoon of filling into the centre of each pastry circle.
- 14Brush the edges with egg and fold the pastry to form a semi-circle.
- 15Make repeated folds on the rounded edge by folding little pieces of pastry back as you move around the edge.
- 16Continue with the remaining pastry and filling.
- 17Heat the oil to 180C or until a bread cube browns in 15 seconds.
- 18Add samosas two or three at a time and cook until golden.
- 19Serve with yoghurt garnished with coriander.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato and Coriander Samosas
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.2
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 22.6 mg
- Sodium 216.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 3.7 g