Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious potato salad. It goes well with a green salad on the side for vegetarians, or as a side dish with chicken or meat. You can prepare the potatoes and eggs ahead of time, but using them warm is nice too. If sweet corn isn't in season, use a can of kernels, well drained. Additions for non-vegetarians: salmon, tuna, or a little chicken.
- Peel and slice the potatoes into smallish cubes. Cook and drain, allow to cool.
- While the potatoes cook, hard boil two eggs, allow to cool.
- Remove the sweetcorn kernels from cob, if you're using fresh corn.
- Slice the garlic.
- Fry the garlic and corn kernels in the oil for 2-3 minutes, remove from heat.
- Peel and slice the eggs.
- Slice the shallots.
- Into a salad bowl place the potatoes, eggs, corn mixture, shallots, cashews, spices, buttermilk and mayonnaise.
- Mix, and serve with green salad and tomatoes.
I really liked the flavours and textures in this, but visually it was a bit lacking. Next time I make it, I'll use green onions instead of shallots or add green parsley to the shallots. I think a bit of greenery would lift it no end. I had to use canned corn, so used roasted garlc (I could omit the oil then and reduce the fat count).