1/5 Photos of Potato Salad Japanese Style
Chef floWer's Note:
This recipe comes from a book called 'Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking' by Harumi Kurihara. I boiled the carrots and potatoes instead of steamed and it worked well. I removed the carrots first as the potatoes need to be boiled longer. I used Japanese mayonnaise but I think any type of mayonnaise will work.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 650 g potatoes, chopped
- 200 g carrots, chopped
- water, to steam vegetables
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 100 g cucumbers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, for cucumbers
- 50 g onions, sliced see instructions
- water, to cover onions see instructions
- 1 cup mayonnaise (200 ml)
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Wash the potatoes and carrots but do not peel. (This makes the vegetable fresh and gives them good texture).
- 2Place in a hot steamer and cook for about 25 minutes over a medium heat, taking care to top up the water from time to time as needed. Prick the vegetables with a toothpick or skewer to see if cooked and remove when done.
- 3Peel the potatoes and carrots while hot and then transfer the potatoes to a bowl and roughly break up. Mix in the chicken stock powder and leave to cool.
- 4Chop the carrots in half length ways and slice into 5 mm thick semi-circular pieces. You can make quarter –button shapes by chopping the halves carrot again length ways before slicing.
- 5Cut the cucumber in half lengthways and use a spoon, remove the seeds. Cut each half again lengthways and then slice into 5 mm thick pieces. In a separate bowl, sprinkle salt over the cucumber and leave for about 2-3 minutes to soften, then squeeze to remove excess liquid. Cut the onion in half, slice and soak in water to remove any bitterness, then drain and pat dry.
- 6When the potato is cool, add the carrots, cucumber and onions and lightly mix. Stir in the mayonnaise, salt and pepper and serve.
- 7Variations: You can make this salad look even more interesting by serving it in individual portions (about the size of an egg) and add a slice of hard-boiled egg.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Salad Japanese Style
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.5
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 759.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: