Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from a book called 'Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking' by Harumi Kurihara. I boiled the carrots and potatoes instead of steamed and it worked well. I removed the carrots first as the potatoes need to be boiled longer. I used Japanese mayonnaise but I think any type of mayonnaise will work.
- 650 g potatoes, chopped
- 200 g carrots, chopped
- water, to steam vegetables
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 100 g cucumbers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, for cucumbers
- 50 g onions, sliced see instructions
- water, to cover onions see instructions
- 1 cup mayonnaise (200 ml)
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Wash the potatoes and carrots but do not peel. (This makes the vegetable fresh and gives them good texture).
- Place in a hot steamer and cook for about 25 minutes over a medium heat, taking care to top up the water from time to time as needed. Prick the vegetables with a toothpick or skewer to see if cooked and remove when done.
- Peel the potatoes and carrots while hot and then transfer the potatoes to a bowl and roughly break up. Mix in the chicken stock powder and leave to cool.
- Chop the carrots in half length ways and slice into 5 mm thick semi-circular pieces. You can make quarter –button shapes by chopping the halves carrot again length ways before slicing.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthways and use a spoon, remove the seeds. Cut each half again lengthways and then slice into 5 mm thick pieces. In a separate bowl, sprinkle salt over the cucumber and leave for about 2-3 minutes to soften, then squeeze to remove excess liquid. Cut the onion in half, slice and soak in water to remove any bitterness, then drain and pat dry.
- When the potato is cool, add the carrots, cucumber and onions and lightly mix. Stir in the mayonnaise, salt and pepper and serve.
- Variations: You can make this salad look even more interesting by serving it in individual portions (about the size of an egg) and add a slice of hard-boiled egg.
This was a very interesting potato salad. We really liked the addition of cucumbers. My husband hates eggs and was really glad there were no eggs in this recipe. A nice change of pace in a potato salad.
Delicious potato salad, I only wish I had doubled the recipe! I love that you steam the veggies-I did this and they were very tender and good. The carrots were rather hard to peel after steaming though so I will do that first next time. I used 1/3c mayo and 1/3c yogurt for the sauce and it was perfectly creamy. I also used a whole cucumber. I love hard-boiled eggs in my potato salad and might add a couple next time (in addition to the sliced egg garnish). Served with Sugar Snap Pea and Radish Salad in our lunches this week. A definite keeper, thank you Chef FloWer!
This is such a superb way of preparing your potato salad! It is light, healthy, quick and easy to make and most important has a very yummy taste! The carrots, cucumber, potatoes and onion go so well together. I used half mayonnaise, half yoghurt for the dressing and it still was super creamy. Mmm, I made this for lunch today and it was very much enjoyed by all! :) THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful recipe with us, Chef floWer! It will surely be made again and again. Made and reviewed for Ed'n#9-Octobre 09.