This is not your typical potato salad. This makes a lot, but it can be easily reduced. It is also just as good, if not better the next day. This will make a wet salad. If you prefer a drier potato salad increase the amount of potatoes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup coarse grain mustard or 1⁄2 cup mustard, your favorite
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb bacon
- 5 lbs white potatoes, peeled if desired, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 4 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 6 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 1⁄2 cups red onions, chopped
- 9 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- Whisk mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar and garlic in medium bowl to blend.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover, chill.
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Boil potatoes in large pot until just tender.
- Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Cool for 15 minutes or so.
- Mix bacon, celery, green and red onions, eggs and dressing into potatoes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Note: I usually hold back about ¾ cup of the dressing to toss with salad just before serving.
- While chilling the potatoes soak up a good bit of the dressing and if not careful it can become dry. If this happens just moisten with a small amount of milk and stir to encorporate.