Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the cookbook The Essential Asian Cookbook.
Make and share this Prawns ( Shrimp ) in Lime Coconut Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut (not sweetened)
- 500 g large raw shrimp
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 stems lemon grass root, white part only finely chopped
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped red chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon soft brown sugar
- 2 limes, just the zest cut into long shreds
- Spread the coconut on an oven tray and toast it in a slow (150c) oven until it's dark golden, shaking the tray occasionally. Peel and devein the prawns, leaving the talis intact.
- Place the shrimp paste on a small piece of foil, fold one side over, then fold it into a parcel. Cook the parcel under a hot grill (broiler) for 2 minutes each side.
- Combine the coconut milk and water in a wok or frying pan and cook over medium heat until just boiling. Add the lemon grass, lime leaves and chilli; reduce the heat and simmer for 7 minutes. Add the shrimp paste, tamarind, fish sauce and sugar and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the prawns to the sauce and cook for 5 minutes or until they turn pink. Sprinkle with the toasted coconut, lime shreds then serve with steamed rice.