2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
TOOLBELT DIVA's Note:
Everybody loves a good cut of roast beef (vegetarians excluded). Work out the cooking time based on 15-20 minutes per lb. of meat. This will achieve a roast that is well done on the outside and rare inside. Cooking times will vary according to your personal preference. Serve with mashed potatoes and roasted veggies. Don't forget wines from your favourite vintner. Another favourite from Classic Essential Roasts, Hawthorne Press.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 lbs prime rib roast, about (standing rib)
- 1 slice bacon, rind removed,chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 4 ounces firm textured pate, such as peppercorn or grand marnier,discard the jelly from the top of the pate
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
INGREDIENTS FOR BASIC GRAVY
- 1Preheat over to very hot- 475F- gas mark 9.
- 2Place the bacon in a dry, fry pan and cook gently until it is beginning to soften.
- 3Add chopped onion and mushroom.
- 4Continue to cook for 3 minutes, or so, stirring all the while.
- 5Transfer to a bowl and mix in the breadcrumbs, pate, parsley, oregano and egg.
- 6Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 7Cut a slit from the side, between he rib bones and the meat to form a pocket.
- 8Spoon the pate mixture into the pocket.
- 9Secure the meat firmly with thick kitchen string to help hold its shape and keep the dressing mixture from falling out.
- 10Place the meat in a shallow baking pan, fat-side-up- the bones form a natural rack.
- 11Bake for 15 minutes.
- 12After 15 minutes, reduce the heat to moderate 350F (gas mark 4).
- 13Bake for a further 1-1/2 hour, for rare, up to 2 hours for medium, or until cooked according to your taste.
- 14Remove from oven and allow the meat to rest for 15 minutes prior to carving, to allow the juices to be reabsorbed.
- 15Remove the string, cut the meat into slices, allowing 1 bone per person.
- 16BASIC GRAVY: Discard all but 2 tbsp.
- 17of the pan juices.
- 18Heat the pan over the stove.
- 19Stir in 2 tbsp plain flour and cook until brown.
- 20Gradually add 1-1/4 cups beef or chicken stock, 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce and 2 tbsp red or white wine.
- 21Stir until the mixture boils and thickens, then simmer for 2 minutes.
- 22Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 23Yield about 1-1/2 cups.
Browse Our Top Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Prime Rib Roast with Pate
Serving Size: 1 (756 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2298.3
- Calories from Fat 1818
- Total Fat 202.0 g
- Saturated Fat 84.0 g
- Cholesterol 479.3 mg
- Sodium 743.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 101.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: