1/12 Photos of Puffed Cheese Omelet
bluemoon downunder's Note:
Adapted from a recipe I found in this morning's Herald Sun's Sunday magazine, too late for today's breakfast but I plan to try it soon. It is from Donna Hay's 'Tastes of Autumn' magazine but to me this sounds like an anytime of year breakfast idea! My only additions were garlic, rosemary and sage, simply because I enjoy all of these in many savoury dishes, but I've listed them as optional. Feel free to add your favourite herbs. So that the omelet retains its lightness, I'd be disinclined to add anything else to it, but I'll certainly be making this with some mushrooms. YUM! OOPS! Chocolatl observed - quite rightly - that I'd omitted the butter from the Ingredients list. Add 1 tablespoon butter, preferably unsalted to the pan in step four.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup mascarpone
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- 1 pinch rosemary, to taste (optional)
- 1 pinch sage, to taste (optional)
- 2 free-range eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons cream
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter, preferably unsalted
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese, grated
- extra parmesan cheese, finely grated, to serve
- 1Combine the mascarpone, chives and garlic, rosemary and sage (if including) and set aside.
- 2Place the egg yolks, cream, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk until they are combined.
- 3In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks then gently fold through the egg yolk mixture.
- 4Heat the butter in a 20cm/8 inch non-stick pan over a medium heat; pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook for 5 minutes; sprinkle with the parmesan and cheddar; spread the mascarpone mixture onto one side of the omelet and carefully fold over to enclose the filling; cook for a further 1-2 minutes; sprinkle with parmesan and serve.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Puffed Cheese Omelet
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 191.6
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 223.8 mg
- Sodium 186.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: