Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Damper is a traditional Australian "bush" bread which was cooked in the hot coals of campfires.It's ok to use an oven these days but this one is done on a grill. This is a nice twist on an old Aussie favourite.
- Boil, steam or microwave pumpkin until tender, drain and mash. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon and onion in a pan until lightly browned.
- Sift flour, pepper and mustard in a large bowl. Rub in the butter.
- Stir egg and milk into the pumpkin mixture,then add to the flour. Stir gently to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface, knead lightly until smooth (don't over knead). Press into a 3cm thick circle.
- Place dough into large, greased, heavy-based pan and with a sharp knife mark into wedges to a depth of 1cm.
- Put pan onto barbecue plate and cook over medium heat for approximately 30 minutes, turning the damper several times during cooking.
- Serve hot with lots of butter.