Fairy Nuff's Note:
Damper is a traditional Australian "bush" bread which was cooked in the hot coals of campfires.It's ok to use an oven these days but this one is done on a grill. This is a nice twist on an old Aussie favourite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil, steam or microwave pumpkin until tender, drain and mash. Set aside.
- 2Cook the bacon and onion in a pan until lightly browned.
- 3Sift flour, pepper and mustard in a large bowl. Rub in the butter.
- 4Stir egg and milk into the pumpkin mixture,then add to the flour. Stir gently to make a soft dough.
- 5Turn onto a lightly floured surface, knead lightly until smooth (don't over knead). Press into a 3cm thick circle.
- 6Place dough into large, greased, heavy-based pan and with a sharp knife mark into wedges to a depth of 1cm.
- 7Put pan onto barbecue plate and cook over medium heat for approximately 30 minutes, turning the damper several times during cooking.
- 8Serve hot with lots of butter.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin and Bacon Damper - Pan Barbecued
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.2
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 64.6 mg
- Sodium 827.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 8.6 g