Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I really love savoury dishes and this one really appeals to me especially as there is no sugar and I think would be lovely with a warm cuppa. Suggested you serve slices buttered. From Recipe+
- 300 g pumpkin (cut into 3cm pieces)
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons rosemary (finely chopped)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (finely grated, reserve 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (or olive oil)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (pieces)
- Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan forced).
- Line baking tray and a 21cmx10cm (base measurement) loaf pan with baking paper.
- Place pumpkin on pepared baking tray and bake the pumpkin for 20-25 minutes or until soft.
- Transfer to a large bowl and mash (you will need 3/4 cup mashed pumpkin).
- Add flour and rosemary to pumkin mash and then add parmesan (less your 2 reserved tablespoons which will be used on top of the loaf) and then season with salt and pepper. mix well and then add the milk and oil and then using a round bladed knife mix ingredients together.
- Spoon dough into prepared pan and using the back of a wet spoon, smooth top and sprinkle with walnuts, pressing in lightly and then sprinkle with reserved parmesan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack, let cool a little and then slice and serve warm with butter.
Pat, this is an outstanding recipe! It is so easy and quick to make and tastes lovely!
The pumpkin (I used hokkaido squash) goes great with the rosemary and parmesan cheese and the walnuts add such a great crunch on top.
I loved the flavour of this savoury loaf and will surely make this often again during this fall.
I only had dried rosemary on hand, so I used 2 ts of that, but will only use 1 1/2 ts next time as I found it a little too prominent.
Also I would suggest adding the topping after half the baking time or covering the loaf with the topping already applied as mine got quite dark and I had to scrape some off.
Other than that though I really enjoyed this recipe and so did my family! :)
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing another winner with us, Pat!
Made and reviewed for PRMR September 2010.
Wow Pat you have out done yourself with this one! This is fantastic and will be making often this winter. The tasty combo of rosemary, parmesan, walnuts mixed into a savory squash bread makes this the tastiest of treats all on its own, but pairs beautifully with other foods such as soup or roasted veggie dinner. Made using butternut squash which I did not mash to much as want to be able to see pieces in the bread and used the olive oil option. Would not change a thing. Thanks for the post.
Thank you for a really outstanding recipe. I joined Food.com just to be able to rate it! My second loaf is in the oven as I type!