bluemoon downunder's Note:
This pumpkin, pumpkin seed and asparagus frittata makes an ideal breakfast, brunch or luncheon dish. It can also be cut into wedges and served - warm or at room temperature - as finger food, or enjoyed at a picnic or for easy take-to-work lunches. To make this a vegetarian dish, omit the bacon. The cooking time below does not include the time for cooking the pumpkin, so you need to add this if you are cooking the pumpkin at the same time you are making the frittata.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups diced pumpkin, cooked until tender but still a little firm (just short of how soft you would want it to be if you were mashing it)
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1 (340 g) can asparagus tips, drained
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup thickened cream
- 2 cups grated tasty cheese or 2 cups parmesan cheese or 1 cup of tasty cheese and 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1Heat the oil in a pan, preferably non-stick; add the bacon, onion and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes or until the onions and garlic have begun to soften.
- 2Add the diced, cooked pumpkin and the pumpkin seeds to the pan, and sauté for about 5 minutes, being careful that they do not burn.
- 3Add the asparagus tips to the pan.
- 4Whisk the remaining ingredients together in a bowl until they are well-combined; and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and cook for 5-7 minutes on a medium heat or until set.
- 6Place the frittata under a preheated grill for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- 7Serve hot or at room temperature with crusty rolls and a salad. Or enjoy it on a picnic or as a take-to-work lunch.
- 8Notes: To serve this as finger food, cut the cooked frittata into small wedges or squares.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin, Pumpkin Seed and Asparagus Frittata
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 519.0
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.6 g
- Saturated Fat 20.1 g
- Cholesterol 371.6 mg
- Sodium 505.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 25.1 g