Chef #1063418's Note:
This is Pumpkin Soup with the volume turned up. Pumpkin soup can be boring but the addition of Sweet Potato (Kumara), ginger and a touch of curry powder elevate this soup from bland to blissful. I own a Bakery and serve this soup to take out with a bread roll. It walks out the door every time I have it on offer! It's a great winter warmer and kind to the waistline as well. Please try it - you won't be disappointed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g sweet potatoes, chopped (Kumara)
- 500 g pumpkin, chopped (use any kind)
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 50 g butter
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 400 g lite evaporated milk or 400 g coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 400 deg. (C). Cook Potato and Pumpkin until browning on the edges. The browner they are, the more flavour they will have but it isn't necessary to completely cook them.
- 2Melt butter in large stockpot. Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook until onion is transparent. Add curry powder and cook for a minute or two.
- 3Add browned Pumpkin and Sweet Potato.
- 4Add chicken stock and bring to boil.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are cooked (approx 20 - 25 minutes).
- 6Cool slightly and then blend or puree soup.
- 7Return soup to pot.
- 8Add Light Evaporated Milk (or Coconut Cream if using) and season to taste with Salt and Pepper. Reheat until desired temperature is reached.
- 9Top with sour cream or yoghurt if desired and serve with roll.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin & Sweet Potato (Kumara) Soup
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.6
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 34.3 mg
- Sodium 1086.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 10.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lite evaporated milk