1/6 Photos of Quick Low-Fat Mushrooms
A simple fry-pan cooked mushroom -lowfat version for my New Years Resolution to lose some weight. Great served on toast with egg, serve on top of steak or chicken. For a gluten-free or lactose free then check your stock powder is suitable (I use Massel brand-GF, vegan, lactose free and all natural). For a creamier sauce use low-fat cream or evaporated milk in place of the water. I've noticed that the nutrition panel seems to be picking up on the extra olive oil-it's optional and only needed if your mushrooms require. Instead of the extra oil you could use a little water.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 medium sized onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock powder or 2 crumbled chicken stock cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 500 g button mushrooms, halved .or quartered with stems removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra only if required
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornflour (US cornstarch)
- 1Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- 2Add the garlic and onion -stir until the onion has softened. Add the stock powder and dried basil. This should take roughly 3 minutes.
- 3Add the cut mushrooms and continue to cook for another minute. Add the extra oil if required to moisten the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Mix the cornflour with a little water in your measuring cup. Add more water to bring to the 1/4 cup measurement of water. Mix and add over the mushrooms. You can use cream or evaporated milk in place of the water if you wish.
- 5Continue to cook and stir until done to your liking. I prefer to keep my mushrooms chunky.
- 6Serve over toast, steak or chicken.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Low-Fat Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 95.7
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 24.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 3.1 g