This is a non-wheat recipe similar to tabouleh. The quinoa is substituted for the bulgar. Cooked quinoa is lighter and fluffier than bulgar and personally I think it tastes better. It's lovely as a bed for grilled snapper or lamb. You can vary the ingredients used to your taste preference. Quinoa is gluten-free and can be used wherever tabouleh would be or in place of cous cous. Modern Middle Eastern flavours
- 2 cups quinoa, to be cooked and cooled
- 2 cups fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh mint, chopped roughly
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh rocket, chopped roughly (aka arugula)
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- cracked black pepper
- Cook 2 cups quinoa to 4 cups water bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes. Alternately cook to the directions on the pack.
- Set aside on a flat dish, spreading it out to allow it to cool evenly.
- When quinoa is cool, combine all ingredients and serve.