An Australian recipe winner from Paul Greene NSW.
Make and share this Rainforest Roast Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 Spanish onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 green capsicum, sliced
- 1⁄2 red capsicum, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 (400 g) packet hokkien noodles
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy davidson's plum sauce
- 12 snow peas
- 1⁄4 red cabbage (shredded)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground lemon myrtle
- 2 shallots, chopped (garnish)
- Stir fry chicken strips with onion, ginger, garlic and 1 tbsp oil until the chicken's cooked. Then remove.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp oil, capsicum and carrot; cook slightly then add the hokkien noodles, soy sauce, Davidson plum sauce and cooked chicken.
- Cook until noodles are hot then add snow peas, red cabbage and lemon myrtle, stir through. Garnish with shallots and serve.
This was amazingly good! Note that since I'm a vegetarian, I used substitute chicken strips for the meat. Also, since I used this recipe for the Australian Bush Tucker ZWT 5 challenge, I picked it for the lemon myrtle but had to substitute lemon grass because, as far as I know, you can't get lemon myrtle in NYC. Also, instead of plum sauce I used hoisin, and instead of hokkien noodles (found in the refrigerator section I think, but not in my city at all) I used dried bean noodles, and had to add some water (about 1 1/2 cups) to get them hydrated and cooked. This turned out really, really well despite my substitutions. I'd make this again, hands down. My only complaint would be the leftover vegetables that I couldn't use (bell peppers, aka capsicum, and red cabbage). Thanks for this!
Loved this recipe, rich flavors, easy to prepare. Made as directed and will keep this recipe to use again!! ZWT5