Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this recipe amongst my mum's magazine clippings from the 80's, I haven't tried it yet but it looks & sounds fantastic! I guess you could use fresh raspberries instead of frozen if you wish.
- Grease a 6 cup capacity ovenproof dish.
- Preheat oven to 180c/350 degrees F.
- Combine milk, cream& sugar in pan- stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved.
- Once sugar has dissolved, bring to the boil, remove from heat; stir in essence.
- Cover, stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut crusts from bread.
- Butter slices on one side; cut each slices into four triangles.
- Overlap triangles in prepared dish; top with raspberries.
- Whisk eggs until combined; gradually whisk in milk mixture.
- Strain mixture, then pour over bread.
- Place dish in a large baking dish, add enough boiling water to come halfway up sides of baking dish.
- Sprinkle on almonds and dust with icing sugar.
- Bake uncovered in oven about 45 minutes or until just set.
- Serve warm with extra raspberries.
- *Bestmade just before serving.
This recipe is superb. I decided to akter it slightly by adding a thin layer of marzipan in between each layer of bread, with outstanding results. I served it with double cream mixed with amaretto liqeur. At my dinner party, a couple of my guests who confessed to be "non dessert lovers" said it was absolutely marvellous and gulped it down. Great success & I'll definately do this again.
I had this recipe and had made it once before. I was looking here as I had so much bread to use. Surprised to see it here... Mine says womens weekly 1999. It is exquisite!! A few steps in the prep but 100% in the eating. The only changes I made was not to worry about straining the mixture and pour the liquid ingredients over the bread and stand for an hour.... Just reading some reviews of other B&B pudding who suggested this.. You would never known there was bread in this dish. It was velvety smooth. I would love to keep making this.... but.... don't think it is great for the waistline..
I personally thought that this was better cold. I had to cook it 30 minutes longer than the recipe specifie for it to actually start setting. I also noticed some liquid left in the pan when I tried to plate it. I was worried that it was a litle water logged. But, it was perfect after a little time in the fridge. I followed the recipe with the exception of fresh raspberries. My milk was whole milk as the recipe didn't specify. I used size large eggs.