Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made ratatouille for my DIL the other night. She mentioned her mum used to make it with meatballs in it so this is my take on that recipe. I got further inspiration from **Mandy**s Baked Vegetable Ratatouille. We usually eat most of the dish and then take the leftovers (cold) the following day for a picnic as we fish.
- 250 g lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2 in dice
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/2 in dice
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 (440 g) can tomatoes, chopped and juice included
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon basil, extra
- juice of half a lemon
- Combine the first 6 ingredients, mixing well. Form into 12 small meatballs.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and cook meatballs until browned all over and cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- Combine remaining ingredients (except extra basil and lemon juice) in an ovenproof dish, push the meatballs amongst the vegetables.
- Preheat your oven to 350f/190c. Place in the oven and cook for half an hour, stir and cook a further hour or until the vegetables are tender.
- Sprikle with the extra basil and lemon juice, check the seasonings and serve.
JustJanS - my DH could kiss you for this recipe!! He can't stop raving about it! We are attempting to eat healthier yet still enjoy red meat. These little meatballs packed so much flavor and satisfied those cravings - and the vegetables are wonderful. We doubled it for our family and served it along with pasta tossed with Parmesan. C'est Magnifique!