Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A little like carpetbag steak with a different suprise in the middle to oysters! This is obviously quite hot but you could replace the wasabi paste with a mild mustard if you must. The quantitity shown is enough for two small streaks or one large one. This is how I cooked mine but unless you have a very sharp knife you may find it easier to cut the pocket before marination and possibly while the steak is still partially frozen.
- Combine sake, sugar, pepper and worcestershire sauce in a small bowl. Place into a freezer bag along with steak and marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes or more.
- Mix wasabi paste and crushed garlic in a small bowl.
- Cut a slit starting half way through the edge of each steak that extends about 3/4 of the way through the steak and for 3/4 of the length to form a pocket.
- Stuff each of the steaks with equal amounts of the wasabi mix spreading out as evenly as possible. A buffer knife is good for this.
- You can optionally hold it together with toothpicks but this shouldn't normally be necessary because of the thickness of the paste if you push the mixture well inside and press the outside edge back together.
- Cook on a BBQ hotplate or under a grill until cooked to your liking.