I found this on a New Zealand site. Sounded interesting so I've posted it to share. Quantity is only a guess as I haven't made this myself yet, but I do intend to soon. Please remember that this is a preserve. The marmalade needs to sit for at least 6 weeks before you try it.
- 8 large red capsicums
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 orange, zest of
- Grill the red capsicum under a searing hot heat until they blacken.
- Halve, remove the seeds and core.
- Chop 6 capsicums finely and cut the remaining 2 into fine julienne slices.
- Place all the ingredients into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil then reduce to a gently simmer.
- Cook 10 minutes until the mixture is thick and the consistency of jam.
- Bottle into hot sterilised jars and seal.
This is wonderful! I couldn't wait the 6 weeks, so I took a bite before canning it and I love how all the flavors come together- the citrus, cayenne and herbs provide layers of flavors. I plan on serving this with some crackers and cream cheese. I made half a recipe which came out to 3 half pints. Thank you Jewelies- this is a GREAT recipe!
This is awesome stuff! I expected sweet but it is a balance of sweet and acid. Did use one yellow pepper to add more color but I will be making this for holiday presents. Thanks for posting.
I have made this on a couple of occasions and have enjoyed it immensely. Although i found it difficult to wait 6 weeks it was definitely worth the wait.