Mrs B's Note:
Damper is a traditional Australian bread, but this version is cut up and served as a kind of scone. The recipe comes from the Australian Women’s Weekly cookbook "Muffins, Scones and Breads”. Recipe posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. NOTE: Australian chefs use a larger tablespoon measure so will only need 2 tablespoons of crystallised ginger and the same for the extra sugar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 g butter
- 3 stalks rhubarb, finely chopped (200g)
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 1 pinch bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 60 g ground almonds
- 2 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 75 g caster sugar (superfine)
- 250 ml milk (approximately)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar (extra)
- 1Pre-heat oven to 450F / 220C /gas mark 6.
- 2Melt the butter in a small pan, add rhubarb, cook and stir for about 5 minutes or until rhubarb is just tender; leave to cool.
- 3Sift flour, soda and cinnamon into a medium sized bowl; stir in ground almonds, ginger, sugar and rhubarb.
- 4Stir in enough milk to mix to a soft, sticky dough.
- 5Turn dough onto a floured surface, knead until smooth.
- 6Divide dough in half, place halves onto greased baking trays, shape into a 15cm rounds; mark each round into 8 wedges, sprinkle with the extra sugar.
- 7Bake for about 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rhubarb Ginger Damper
Serving Size: 1 (881 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1061.0
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 33.1 mg
- Sodium 2043.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 180.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 55.8 g
- Protein 26.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: