A great salad recipe from a borrowed library book- Karen Martine "cooking at home' - a truely delicious book that I would love to own. She suggests that it's great with grilled haloumi, though we enjoyed it with some grilled fish. Toast pine nuts in a dry pan over a medium heat, keep them moving whilst toasting- remove quickly from pan when fragrant and toasted so that they dont burn. You can add in the zest of a lemon if you like a stronger lemon flavour to come through. Cooking time does not include pre-cooking of the brown rice. If liked, you can use the quick cook packeted rice
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 125 ml olive oil
- 3 brown onions, halved and sliced
- sea salt, ground
- freshly ground black pepper
- 150 g currants
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, kept warm
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley, leaves only
- 1/2 bunch mint, leaves only
- 2 green chilies, finely sliced
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 120 g pine nuts, toasted
- 1Using a small saucepan, add currants and just enough of the red wine vinegar to cover them. Boil 3 minutes until the liquid has almost evaporated (reserve the liquid). Set aside.
- 2Heat 4 tablespoons (8 teaspoons) of the olive oil, in a large non-stick frypan, using a low heat. Season with salt and pepper and add the onion. Cook, stiriig occasionally for about 20-25 minutes, or until the onion has caramelised. Don't be tempted to turn up the heat,as you want the caramelised flavour to develop slowly.
- 3Stir in the currants and vinegar mixture. Set aside.
- 4Using a large bowl, add the cooked rice, parsley, mint and chillis. Stir in the lemon juice and the remaining olive oil. Add half of the onion mixture and half of the pine nuts. Toss to combine.
- 5Top with the remaining onions and pine nuts to serve.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice, Mint , Pine Nut Salad W Currants N Caramelised Onions
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 715.7
- Calories from Fat 439
- Total Fat 48.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 19.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 31.1 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: