Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
This Chocolate cake from Aust. Women's Weekly Cookbook-Cakes and Slices-is posted in response to a request.
- Grease and line a deep 23cm round cake pan.
- Combine butter, essence, sugar, eggs, sifted flour, cocoa and water in a large bowl and beat on low speed with electric mixer until ingredients are combined.
- Increase speed to medium, and beat for about 3 minutes or until mixture is smooth and changed in colour.
- Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Stand 5 minutes before turning on to wire rack to cool.
- Spread cold cake with icing.
- Chocolate Icing: Melt chocolate and butter in bowl over hot water, gradually stir in sifted icing sugar, then stir in enough hot water to mix to a spreadable consistency.