1/2 Photos of Rich Christmas Fruitcake
3 hrs 30 mins
I have been making this particular fruit cake recipe for about 28 years now. It's a traditional cake for weddings, birthdays and Christmas in Australia. Although I submitted the original recipe, I personally would soak the fruit for a day or two in port or brandy before I baked the cake, as I like a really moist and boozy fruit cake. I double or triple the recipe depending on the size tins I will be using, and often make about 12 of these in varying sizes as gifts for Christmas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces butter
- 8 ounces packed brown sugar
- 8 ounces flour
- 2 ounces self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons fruit juice or 3 tablespoons sherry wine or 3 tablespoons brandy
- 8 ounces sultanas
- 8 ounces currants
- 8 ounces seeded raisins
- 2 ounces mixed citrus peels
- 2 ounces chopped glace cherries
- 2 ounces dates
- 2 ounces almonds
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1Line a 8-inch round, or 7-inch square tin with 3 layers of paper.
- 2Having said that, I find it easier to line it with one, then wrap the OUTSIDE of the tin in several layers of newspaper, tied with kitchen string.
- 3Weigh and measure ingredients.
- 4Sift flour salt and spices.
- 5Cream butter and sugar.
- 6Gradually add the eggs to the creamed mixture.
- 7Mix well.
- 8It may look a bit curdled at this stage, but that's OK.
- 9Add the fruit, nuts, then the flour and liquid.
- 10Stir gently and thoroughly. I do this with my (clean) hands.
- 11Place in the prepared tin, hollowing out the centre a little to allow for rising.
- 12You can decorate the top with blanched whole almonds now if you wish.
- 13Bake in a 325°F oven (decreasing the temp gradually as the cake cook) for 3- 3 1/2 hours.
- 14When baked, leave in the tin for at least 10 minutes before turning out-until completely cold is better though.
- 15This is good made in about October, and stored wrapped in foil in an airtight container until Christmas.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich Christmas Fruitcake
Serving Size: 1 (1874 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6623.2
- Calories from Fat 2176
- Total Fat 241.8 g
- Saturated Fat 126.3 g
- Cholesterol 1333.6 mg
- Sodium 3902.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1096.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 61.0 g
- Sugars 736.4 g
- Protein 96.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: