Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe comes from Australian food writer Jill Dupleix.
Make and share this Risotto With Red Wine and Sausages recipe from Food.com.
- Take the skin off the sausages, and pinch the meat into a non-stick frying pan. Fry meat until crusty and golden, then drain off the oil, and set the meat aside.
- Heat the olive oil and half the butter in a pan. Fry the onion gently until softened but not brown. Add the rice, and using a wooden spoon, toss well until the rice is coated in the buttery onions. Pour in red wine and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Add a ladle full of the hot stock to the rice. Stir carefully over medium heat until the stock has been absorbed. Continue to add the stock a ladle full at a time. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Add the sausage meat, and stir for another 10 minutes until the rice is cooked but not soft.
- Turn off the heat and add the Parmesan, remaining butter, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir through. Cover and leave to rest for 3-4 minutes before serving.
Had very good flavor, I'm keeping this in my recipe book. Thanks Mandy... 1 oz = 28 g / 1 cup = 250 ml and 1 quart = 946 ml. hopes that helps others with the conversions.
I was originally concerned that there was too much liquid in the recipe, but it turned out perfect! I used just over 1/2 pound of hot Italian sausage, just under 1 cup of red wine, 1 1/4 cups of rice, 5 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock after conversions. This has excellent flavor on it's own, but would also be great stuffed in a roasting chicken! Thanks Mandy -- fabulous!