Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Turn Christmas Day leftovers into a delicious Boxing Day treat: Roast Potato Tortilla! I've adapted this recipe from one which featured in the pre-Christmas 2008 Australian magazine 'New Idea' as an excellent way to give new life to leftover roast potatoes. According to the Zaar Kitchen Dictionary, in Spain, the word 'tortilla' refers to a thin omelette, the traditional version of which contains potatoes and Spanish onions. That I find intriguing as I've been making something similar for years - raw potato cubed and onion, garlic and herbs - simply dubbed by me as a 'Chip Omelette'. Very UNsophisticated but delicious nonetheless. You can, of course, use this recipe at any time of the year to use up leftover roast potatoes or any leftover vegetables: sweet potatoes, zucchinis, mushrooms, peas or corn. With a recipe such as this in your repertoire, you may well want to make extra roast potatoes whenever you're roasting potatoes. Traditionally, in Spain, Roast Potato Tortilla is served warm or cold. This makes it ideal for picnics, potlucks and take-to-work lunches. Untraditionally, if you prefer it warm, it is easily re-heated in the microwave. The other recipes posted from this collection are Roast Beef, Blue Cheese and Caramelised Onion Bagels, Char Siu Pork Pancakes, Ham, Cheese and Mushroom Quiche.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (such as rosemary, oregano, sage, thyme or marjoram)
- 3 cups leftover roast potatoes, chopped
- 310 g corn kernels, drained
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup tasty cheese or 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- mixed salad green, to serve
- crusty roll, to serve
- fresh parsley, to garnish
- Grease a 19cm x 30cm (approximately 71/2 inch x 12 inch) pan and line the sides and base with baking paper.
- Heat oil in a large pan, preferably non-stick, add the onion and red pepper and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft; add the garlic, paprika, herbs, potatoes, corn and salt and pepper, to taste; cook, stirring regularly, until hot.
- Spread the potato mixture over the base of the prepared pan; pour the eggs over the top of the vegetables and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180°C, 350°-375°F, 4-5 gas mark) for about 20 minutes, or until the mixture has set; stand for 5 minutes before removing the tortilla from the pan.
- Serve warm or cold tortilla slices with mixed salad leaves and crusty bread rolls; and garnish with parsley.
This was very, very good and so easy to make! I will definitely make this again as it has all my favorite ingredients! Thanks for sharing Bluemoondownunder! Made for Ali Baba Babes for ZWT 5.
This was nice and easy to make. It tasted good, even though I replaced some of the eggs for egg whites. Thanks!
Different and very good! I roasted potatoes especially for this, earlier in the day, and then cooked it in the evening, using the suggested ingredients, for a simple but delicious meal. Simple to prepare, I put it together whilst doing the ironing at the same time, a good dish for multi-taskers! It was lovely hot, and I saved a piece for my office lunch, so I can tell you it is just as good cold! Thank you for a good recipe, Bluemoon!