Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Australian Homes and Gardens Diabetic Living. A leisurely breakfast or a brunch or light dinner. For gluten free option use gluten free bread. Please note that fan forced ovens generally run 10C to 15C temperature wise lower than conventional ovens.
- 3 egg tomatoes (or Roma halved lengthways)
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 4 mushrooms (flat, opened and stems removed)
- 30 g baby rocket (or other young green leaves)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 slices light rye bread (or gluten free bread)
- 400 ml unsweetened fruit juice (your choice of flavour 200ml per person)
- 125 g low-fat ricotta (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (finely grated)
- 2 teaspoons parsley (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons dill (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (finely minced)
- black pepper (freshly ground to taste)
- Preheat oven to 150C (fan forced).
- Line 2 baking trays with baking/parchment paper and put a rack over one.
- Put cut tomatoes halves on the rack, spray with the olive oil cooking spray and roast for 40 minutes (please note that during part of this time you will also cook the mushrooms).
- HERBED RICOTTA - put ricotta, lemon zest, parsley, dill and garlic in a small bowl and season with pepper and mix well to combine and put in the fridge until required.
- Put the mushrooms, stem side up on the second tray and spray with cooking spray and roast in the oven with the tomato halves for the last 10 minutes of cooking or until mushrooms are tender and tomato halves start to shrivel around the edges.
- Divide the mushrooms between 2 plates and spoon equal amounts of the herbed ricotta between the 4 mushroom caps .
- Place the tomato halves on the plates.
- Toss the rocket leaves (or baby salad leaves) in the balsamic vinegar together and place on the tomato halves.
- Serve with the bread (toasted if you like) and your juice of choice.
Aussie Swap #32: A decadent, fresco meal!! OUTSTANDING - flavors compliment each other wonderfully!