Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I'm posting these for a request. My mum used to make them, but I've never made them-only eaten them! The directions say a "quick oven". I can only guess what THAT means;-) and whilst these are called cakes, they are more like cookies.
- Cream butter and sugar, add the egg and beat well.
- Sift in the flour and spices, add the fruit and begin to add as much milk as you need to make a STIFF dough.
- Divide with a fork, and place small pieces on a greased biscuit tray.
- Bake in a quick oven for 15 minutes.
- *Ican only guess a quick oven would be 200-220c.
My mother would have known exactly what temperature a "quick" oven is, but the best I can do is search waay back in my memory. I think it is about 375*F--don't know what that would be in Celsius.
These rock cakes were easy to make and tasted gorgeous plus a good way to use up a packet of dried fruit mix - I don't think that i have ever had a bad result with your recipes Jan - thank you
It is almost exactly my recipe Jan. I use less sugar only 1/3 cup and I don't add the peel or the mixed spice. But yours will save me looking for my recipe in my old school cookbook or from posting it myself. Thanks Jan for posting such an old favourite. Glen.